Maintaining Healthy Dental Habits
Like all habits, maintaining healthy dental habits gets easier the more consistent we are in practicing them, and they’re so vital to good oral hygiene. Consider that everything from bad breath, gum disease, and tooth decay are only a few of the problems the come from poor dental habits. Grounding ourselves in the basics makes sure we aren’t risking losing our healthy, happy smiles!
The following good dental habits lead to a lifetime of healthy smiles:
- Floss daily. Floss at least once a day. Food particles get stuck between teeth in the tiny cracks and crevices of the gums and can only be removed with thorough flossing.If your floss gets stuck between your teeth, consider a waxed brand.
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. If your toothpaste has the ADA seal of approval, you’re in business. Wait 30 minutes after eating before you brush, as acids in saliva briefly soften tooth enamel. Too vigorous brushing can further weaken the tooth surface. Make sure your favorite toothbrush has soft bristles. Stiff bristles cause even healthy gums to bleed.
- Visit your dentist for regular teeth cleaning. Professional cleaning prevents the buildup of tartar and plague. Dangerous disorders like oral cancer, gum disease, and more common dental issues get discovered earlier and resolved faster when you see your dentist for yearly dental cleanings.
- Rinse your mouth with a therapeutic mouthwash. Make sure it has the ADA seal of approval. If you have Sjogren’s Syndrome or xerostomia (persistent dry mouth), using a hydrating mouthwash designed for dry mouth is essential, as a persistent lack of enough saliva damages teeth and gums.
- Watch out for gum disease. If your gums bleed easily or hurt often, you may have the beginnings of gingivitis. Gingivitis develops from plaque, a sticky film of bacteria covering the teeth. It’s the first stage of periodontitis, a severe and often progressive type of gum disease that often leads to tooth loss.
If you’re looking for a Phoenix dentist, Desert View Dental is ready to help you develop the dental habits that’ll keep you smiling for years to come. Book your next appointment online now!